Sunday, October 30, 2011

Procrastinaters UNITE..... Tomorrow!

    HEY ALL! So everyone has their own way of getting through the day, just like everyone has therir own unique fingerprint. This is no different with the way people finish a writing assignment or just write for fun. We all have our own way of getting through it. Personally, I do not completely stick to a rigid list of what I need to do, but I do have specific things that I need to do in order to get myself in the mindset of writing.
   Okay, so what you need to know about me is that I tend to majorly procrastinate. Not like to the point of not getting it done, but if I have a plan to lets just say write a draft for a writing assignment, I do whatever possible to delay the writing. First, I change into comfy sweatpants and a t-shirt because who can work in uncomfortable clothes? Not me! Next, I watch a little bit of my favorite TV shows like Criminal Minds or maybe just Sportscenter. After that, I nourish my brain with a snack and soomething to drink, otherwise I will not be able to think straigh with my stomach rumbling like a stampede of elephants. Next, I finish all lof my homework besides writing. Not because I am putting it off more or I am saving the best for last (well, maybe subconsciencely I am) but because I like to do the straightforward work first. I know approximately that Chem X takes me a half hour or less, AP Calc takes me an hour to an hour and a half, but it completely depends on the day how long it will take me to write.
    So I finally finish procrastinating and doing all of my other homework and I retreat to my bedroom. I can do my math and chem homework in front of the TV or while talking to my family, but there is no way that I can write with distractions. I am already distracted enough as it is, and I do not want another excuse to procrastinate. Although I write on my laptop in my room, I do not have a specific place that I write in there. Some days, I lay on my bed, some days I sit at my desk, some days I lay on the floor, sometimes I sit against my wall, and somedays I do a combination of the four.  As I begin to write, it may take me twenty minutes to write the first sentence; it all depends on how engaged my brain is. Typically, I write something, then delete it and write something then delete it all again. the Introduction takes me by far the most time to write. After I finally complete the dreaded introduction, I am usually in the groove and I spit out words and phrases right there on the spot. I am like a machine, well, not that good, but still. Sometimes, I still have to stop a few minutes and catch my breath, read over what I wrote and find something interesting to say.
   So I finished my rough draft, big deal! Next it is time to edite, edit, edit. This takes the mosst time by far because my writing is never even close to be perfect. First, I read through it, then I have my mom read through it. She used to be a teacher, so she edits the crap out of my so called writing. It deflates my ego everytime, yet it helps me to get a better grade, so I have to deal with it. If it is a big enough essay, then it goes to my friends for editing. Finally, I get it all back and incorporate the edits into my writing, and I finally edit it all by myself. This is actually almost identical to what happened in my huge rhetorical analysis paper! Fun stuff, huh??

1 comment:

  1. I like your title :) and yet another similarity between us - we save writing for last!

    ReplyDelete