Sunday, October 9, 2011

Let's Talk Baseball

     Hey all! This is probably old news to you, but about a week and a hallf ago I finally realized that the team I have adored and worshiped for my entire life is God awful! The Boston Red Sox lost 20 games in the month of September! I didn't know that was possible, except for maybe the Twins or some terrible team like that, but never did I believe my beloved team could fail so epicly. Here is the stunning end of Red Sox Nation's hopes and dreams of making the post-season once again.
    I am not sure if all of you know this but in 2004, the Red Sox finally overcame the 86 year slump that we were cursed with once we traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees. The Curse of the Bambino lay in the back of every Red Sox fan's mind down the stretch, heading towards the post-season. Every year after the All-Star break, we have a minor collapse, but never one as big as this year! The error that still lives in infamy for anyone that knows baseball is the dreaded error of Bill Buckner when in 1986 Worldseries the RedSox played the Mets. This was one of the many problems that the Red Sox encountered that Sox Nation blamed on the Curse. After this error Bill Buckner, led an isolated life, he was shunned by everyone who liked the Red Sox, and understandably because we were so close to winning a World Series ring (which would argueably would have happened if he did not make an error on a routine groundball.) Sox Nation was so bitter with him that Buckner received death threats and hate mail. I think we went way too far in threatening to end his life, I mean it is not like he meant to make an error, yet he did. After the Sox lost in the 86 World Series, Buckner was the immediate scapegoat for the loss, followed by a combination of having to relive the dreaded Curse of the Bambino and realizing the Red Sox are awful.

I would add 2011 to that one!
    I was actually embarrassed to say I am a part of Red Sox Nation. On the bright side, we made history, no team has ever lost as large of a lead as we had coming in to September. At the beginning of September we had almost a nine game lead over the Rays and had a 98.6% chance of making the playoff. We lost it all in less then a month. This was not a Rays win, it was a Sox loss. We were so awful in the month of September that Fenway faithful actually started to boo the team as they ran off the field after another dreadful loss! September was a horriffic month for everyone that even moderately likes the Red Sox, well there is always next year! With a new coach, we could be back on top as soon as the beginning of next season, but who is to say we won't lose it by the end??
    As I look back at the end of our season, I want to say that Jonathan Papelbon, the Red Sox closer, may be thought of as the next Bill Buckner. After all, he struck out two batters to begin the ninth and had two strikes on the next batter, but he choked. Just like Bill Buckner, he couldn't close it out. He gave up our lead; then he personally lost the game for us. Onbce again, the Curse of the Bambino is prevelant in Red Sox Nation.
   Don't get me wrong here everyone I am the biggest Sox fan you will ever meet! I know pretty much everything there is to know about them, you may say I have a little obsession... but oh well everyone has to be obsessed with something!
Yeah! Me too bud, me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment