Sunday, November 13, 2011

excuse me, I HAVE to Take This...

    HEY ALL! Have you ever been in the middle of a deep conversation and out of no where the person across from you's phone rings. Then they look at you for you to give them approval to answer it, and who are you to tell them no. After all, if you do say no, you know that is all they will be thinking about for the rest of the conversation and that, more than anything will be annoying. So you may as well sacrifice the five or so minutes that it will take them to answer their phone, instead of sacrificing the rest of your utterly important conversation.
    Messages are sent all over the world in regards to cell phone use at certain times and events. When a bussinessperson leaves the restaurant table to answer a page, he or she sends the message that that page is a lot more important than the deal you are trying to make. Lets just say for arguments sake that you are calling a company and an automated answering device begins,  "If you have a rotary phone, stay on the line. If you have a touch tone phone..." My first thought is how current is this company. Who still has rotary phones? I mean no offense to anyone who has them, I am sure they work well, but they are as old as the Stone Age. I definitely would not want to do business with any company that is not current because they may have many flaws that are not up to date, and it shows that they really do not want our business. Another no-no in the world of business would be someone who rambles on and on when talking to you on the phone. This shows that they have no regard for you and what you think about the subject. This implies they think what they have to say is more important then what you have to say.

As someone who has been involved in many situations like this, I warn everyone here who is listening to be aware of the message they send in regards to technology and the situation. I cannot stress enough the difference of how one is personified when they attempt to multitask. The people on the other end of the multitasker will not feel as important and become less engaged in the conversation. A message to all the multitaskers out there, me included, when you multitask, you are diminishing your attention to both sides of your conversation. Instead try to focus on one item at a time, you will be a lot more effective!!
Well, I should take my advice and stop multitasking, (I am watching the Steelers vs. Cincinatti game, talking to my friend, talking to my dad, and blogging) till next nime, adios!!!
***Note: this is in response to the explorations and extensions on page 124.

No comments:

Post a Comment