Sunday, December 18, 2011

Risks

    I really haven't taken too many life altering risks during the course of my years. Sure, whenever on vacation I ask anyone who I make eyecontact with "Hi! How are you?" Of course I get a lot of weird looks, but it is all in the act of being friendly. Yup, I go jetskiing with my dad on a regular basis over the summer. You may ask how exactly is that risky. Trust me it is, he is a crazy jetskier, he will try everything to throw me off the back. I have also broken the rules a few times, but that isn't really life changing. Sure, my parents will yell for a few minutes, but then life is back to where it is. The most risky business that I have really been through was when I was 9 and my family decided to move to Minnesota.
    On the surface this may not seem to be very risky, but it absolutely was. My family and I had moved a few times throughout my life, but it would always be in the same town, just to a bigger house. At the time, my dad had been travelling five days a week since I could remember. He was just given a promotion in which he could work permanently at the corporate offices of Dairy Queen. It seems simple, drop everything and move from Massachusetts to start a new life in Minnesota. But it really isn't. All of my family lives back east, I typically would see my grandparents 2 to 3 times a week, and my cousins once a month. Moving to Minnesota would mean seeing my family once a year, maybe twice if we were lucky.
    We would be moving to what seemed then like a freezing foreign country because of my dad's job. All we knew was eachother. We would all be leaving all of our friends behind too, of course we could write letters and email eachother (but that lasted like one month.) Before the move we had to weigh the benefits and the bad concepts of us moving before we made our decision.
     Well, we obviously decided that moving was the best option for us. In Massachusetts we had everything, friends, family, home, nice teachers, my mom had a job that she loved. The only thing that was missing was my dad.  My parents decided that my brother and I would be needing our dad to be there as we grew older. I truly believe we made the right decision, we were able to start with a clean slate, and maybe that was bst for us.
    Now, almost seven years later, my dad had the opportunity to go back into operations, which means he will be back travelling again. He took the job for the sake of staying with Dairy Queen, and I am not sure if it was the right decision. I will miss him a lot, and these are my last years in high schiool. He will pretty much be gone for the entire month of January (my birthday month) and thatr means he will miss my birthday. That is not too bad, hopefully I will have many birthdays left, but what really makes me sad is it reminds me of when he was travelling a lot when he was little. I am worried for him. The real questions are, is it worth it? What's the risk? Without risk, there will be no reward, so hopefully this risk pays off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment